Friday, April 28, 2023

Grammarly Go Helps You Write Better Everywhere On the Web

From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis

Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter

Does Grammarly use AI? It does now! I logged into Grammarly today and started seeing writing suggestions from the new Grammarly Go button. In fact, as I’m writing this post, the GO button is there and ready to offer suggestions.

The Grammarly GO button will offer suggestions and, according to Mashable, uses the ChatGPT Generative AI Model. I’ve tested it inside a blog post, email, and inside Grammarly itself. It seems to exhibit different behavior depending on where Grammarly is working.

So, first, I had to enable the Grammarly button inside chrome. On my Mac I had been using a Grammarly Desktop version, so I had to swap back inside my web browser to the Grammarly Add in.

Grammarly Free currently includes 100 prompts. GrammarlyPro and Teams get 500 prompts per month.

First, You Must Set your Tone

So, after you set your tone, GrammarlyGo is ready to go.

What Can You Do Inside GrammarlyGO

Well, you can prompt it to write, and it does so inside the GrammarlyGO box. Then, when you click “Insert”, it inserts the text into your document. Sometimes, however, the prompt does not seem to be there, and it seems to work differently.

Just remember that the limitations we’ve discussed with ChatGPT are also in GrammarlyGO; namely, the data it accesses is older. I asked it to describe GrammarlyGO, and it described Grammarly of two years ago, not GrammarlyGO. However, I can ask it to rephrase what I’m writing. As with everything else and AI, HI (Human Intelligence) is essential to making AI work properly. In addition to prompting, drafting, and editing the content out of AI is essential to getting good results. (And as always, I wrote this whole blog post myself.)

Grammarly has you set a writing tone which causes GrammarlyGO to behave differently.
Grammarly has you set a writing tone that causes GrammarlyGO to behave differently.

Where GrammarlyGO Seems to Work (or Not)

Email. Compose and Brainstorm. Grammarly offers to write and rephrase emails inside Gmail. It behaved much like the copilot tool for my Canary mail app. It also offered to brainstorm for me.

Grammarly. Writing Suggestions. Inside Grammarly, it offered to give me suggestions on my writing but NOT rewrite it.

Inside Google Docs. No GrammarlyGo. GrammarlyGO does not appear inside Google Docs, but Grammarly still offers to do writing checks and grammar improvement.

Inside Airtable. I tested GrammarlyGO inside Airtable, and while the button was there, sometimes it gave me the option to revise writing, and sometimes the box wouldn’t pop up on the larger fields. So, it was inconsistent.

WordPress. As I was writing this, I asked it to identify gaps. and it gave me questions I had already answered. This is most likely because of how WordPress works now. I have found I have to use Grammarly one paragraph at a time, and it looks like GrammarlyGO is that way now.

I’m still learning to use GrammarlyGO as it feels a tad “clunky” to me. I’ll have to learn the interface, and until then, I’ll go to ChatGPT directly for larger work. However, as GrammarlyGO is built into other tools (like Google Docs or Word or even Grammarly’s own editor), I’ll probably use it more to help draft things in my classroom.

GrammarlyGO in Grammarly for Education

I have been digging and see that GrammarlyGO is part of the individual plan, professional, and teams. However, I haven’t seen that it is part of the Grammarly education package.

That said, many of our students are using the free version of Grammarly with their personal accounts, so they likely will have access to at least 100 prompts of GrammarlyGO.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. I am saying that ChatGPT is unblockable because it is becoming integrated into everything we use.

As all of the apps we use add AI, you can expect new buttons to pop up in all of our apps. I’ve already written about Todoist and now Grammarly. What’s next?

The post Grammarly Go Helps You Write Better Everywhere On the Web appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!

from Cool Cat Teacher Blog https://www.coolcatteacher.com/grammarly-go-helps-you-write-better-everywhere-on-the-web/

No comments:

Post a Comment